In situations like this we are fortunate to have a police and legal network which functions cooperatively and cohesively.” The parents were pleased with the way BVT and the Upton Police Department handled the situation.
Hayden Library, aka Cumberland Public Library in 1976. Cumberland was the site of iron works that made cannons and cannonballs for the French and Indian War and the American Revolution.
Work on the maximum security penitentiary was completed in 1955, and the new prison officially opened less than a year later.
The original perimeter consisted of a wall with eight observation towers.
MCI-Cedar Junction also houses the Departmental Disciplinary Unit, or DDU.
In the early 1950's, Department of Correction officials recognized the need to replace the antiquated Charlestown Prison, and the construction of MCI-Walpole began.